April 27, 2023 Meeting Highlights
Grey County Council met on April 27, 2023, in the Council Chamber and virtually on Zoom. The meeting was immediately followed by a session of Committee of the Whole. Recordings of the meetings can be found on Grey County’s YouTube Channel.
- Council adopted the minutes of the April 13 County Council and Committee of the Whole meetings. Council Committee
Committee of the Whole
- Dave Shorey, Executive Director of Georgian College Owen Sound Campus and students from the Marine and Nursing programs thanked Grey County Council and staff for their partnership over the past several years and recognized the County’s role in helping support the college, including through the recent Health and Wellness wing. The Georgian College Student Association recently recognized Grey County as their Community Partner of the year.
- Council received a delegation from Clinical Lead Heather Prescott from the Supportive Outreach Service regarding provincial changes to the Uninsured Persons Program. As of April 1st, medical care for those without insurance or a valid Ontario health cards is no longer covered by the province. This places an undue hardship on the most vulnerable. Ms. Prescott urged Council to contact the Ministry of Health requesting a six-month extension to the program in order to create a new permanent policy to address this issue. Council voted unanimously in favour. Presentation
- Council received a report from Scott Taylor, Director of Planning, regarding public meetings for subdivision and condominium planning. Though public meetings are not legally required, Council recommended that they be held for new plans of subdivisions and condominiums to improve communication with the public. Report
- Council received an update on the University of Guelph student project, ‘Advancing Additional Residential Units in Grey County.’ Staff will continue to work on additional residential unit resources for residents and municipalities. Report
- Council approved the 2023 property tax ratios, voting to reduce the tax ratio for the multi-residential property class by 7.65% and maintain all other tax classes. Related by-laws will be drafted for Council’s future consideration and approval. Policy
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.